Posted: December 5th, 2010 by Michele Borba
Note to my readers: I’ve partnered with Florida Orange Juice over the next few months on their campaign to help families have a healthier, happy morning start. Setting the right the morning tone can make a big difference in the rest of our children’s day. Here are a few tips Florida Orange Juice offers parents on how to “refresh” your morning and maximize those moments with your kids so they start off on a positive, happy note.
Mornings are one of the busiest times for families, but a happy, healthy start can set the tone for the day ahead. Here are a few simple solutions to help families step back from the morning chaos and make their mornings more meaningful.
- Create a Tradition: Create a special good-bye ritual with your kids that won’t take any extra time from your busy morning, such as a fun handshake, hug or saying that you repeat each morning, or even a sweet message left on a sticky note in your kids’ lunchboxes.
- Put Breakfast within Arm’s Reach: Make it easier for your children to help out in the morning by placing breakfast necessities within reach. Move bowls, plates and glasses to the lowest shelves of your cupboard. Move all breakfast foods, including orange juice, milk, cereal and breakfast bars, to the lowest shelves of your refrigerator and pantry.
- Include Your Kids: Create a simple color-coded “To Do” chart of morning duties for kids to handle such as feeding the fish, packing their own lunch or emptying the garbage. Praise your kids for contributing each day.
- Have a Routine Night: Avoid a rushed morning by preparing items in advance. Before bedtime, lay out outfits for your most indecisive children, pack after-school sports bags, organize your briefcase and prepare snacks such as a portable container of 100 percent orange juice or piece of fruit.
- Fuel the Day: Instead of rushing out the door, talk to your kids as you pour a glass of nutrient-rich 100 percent orange juice together while you pack a healthy breakfast to go.
To see more of my tips to refresh mornings, visit the Florida Orange Juice Facebook page and to challenge your family to make mornings more meaningful enter the Morning Squeeze Video contest for a chance to win an all-expense-paid vacation to Florida!